Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Ghetto L-O-V-E (From A Smilie's POV)


I was reading luvin me’s blog the other day and she posted about an extremely ghetto wedding she attended recently, complete with flowered baby strollers and blue fingernails that matched the blue bridesmaid's dresses (GAG! ). She asked if we had experienced any ghetto wedding adventures and I instantly flashed back to the first wedding I coordinated alone. I was fresh out of college and my first job centered around planning parties, conferences and weddings. I was still learning but had enough knowledge to swing this one alone. A friend of my mother’s had a daughter who was getting married and my mom was going to do the wedding, but she ended up needing surgery and was gonna be bed-ridden so my mom asked me to pick up where she left off. I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN this was gonna be a disaster, but I hoped that since we knew each other, things might run a little smoother. WRONG!!!! Problem # 1-the bride wanted a $50,000 wedding with a budget of $500. Problem # 2, the bride AND groom were very “urban” in their taste which directly conflicted with my taste. Problem # 3, I didn't think they could afford what I would have regularly charged. Problem # 4, we were running out of time. I should have exited as soon as I realized these things, but i decided to try to make a wedding out of wackness.

When I first came on the scene, the bride spoke of grand visions, a band, a dj, a nice reception hall, food, wine and fabulous decorations. Once I came up with a very basic proposal, the truth came out….big dreams, little dollars. So I instructed the bride to think a little more practically about what she could afford. Talk about a 180 degree turnaround! First stop, the reception hall. Ms. Bride takes me to a campground she had visited a few years back and we entered what they used as the dining hall. Everything was wooden and ragged. It smelled old and musty and I immediately objected to this facility. The next day, I went to secure a room at the botanical gardens (which was surprisingly cheaper) and told the bride of the great news. She was NOT excited. But I held strong to my objection of Camp Minnie-Wa-Wa. Fight #1 ensued but she reluctantly agreed. NEXT UP, the colors. Now I acknowledge that there are many sentimental reasons behind the colors people choose for their wedding, but PUH-LEASE be reasonable. This was a greek couple…he-a kappa, she-an SGRHo. And they BOTH wanted to incorporate their colors into the wedding. Hmmmmmm, great idea except his are RED and CREAM and hers are ROYAL BLUE and GOLD (gasp!) after what seemed like countless and lengthy deuls, I begged them to throw out at least ONE color, preferably a primary (red or blue). Ms. Bride chucked the blue so we were left with FIRE ENGINE RED, CREAM and GOLD as a color scheme (no comment). NEXT UP, decorations. The bride and groom were crying broke so I went to the bride’s mother who wrote me a whopping check for $200. With this mountain of money I was supposed to decorate the church and reception room. In the back of my mind, I was wondering about music and food, but I figured I’d chill and attack one issue at a time.


As far as the church, I had to go with fake flowers, some ribbon and a few candles. In an effort to save money, the bride suggested I decorate the reception tables with coke cans (red) wrapped in cellophane . I didn’t even ask if she thought they should be empty or full cans before I politely declined her suggestion and said I’d find a more elegant centerpiece. She didn't appreciate my diss, but COME ONE!! coke cans!?!?!?!? Fight # 2 , but I was sticking to my guns. I headed to the glass store and bought oodles of glass bowls with frilled edges. I glued those horrendous colors of red and gold around the top of the bowl and got some glass writing pens. I wrote in calligraphy on each of them, some had their names, some had the wedding date. I filled the glasses up with water and dropped in some red and gold floating candles and voila-centerpieces. I then trekked to the party store (again in my car with my gas) and rented a huge helium pump. I single handedly blew up 300 balloons and strung them all. I got some red and gold do-dads to sprinkle all over the tables, after I bought cream tablecloths of course. At this point, my funds were in the negative. I asked Ms. Bride about the music and she said she’d take care of it. I had no idea of the extent she would handle things until I experienced the madness myself. The night of the rehearsal, I gave everyone their directions, marked their places and ran thru the practice even though about 6 people were missing. It worried me cuz they would be lost the next day, but oh well! Then the groom’s parents informed everyone that we were to head to the local Denny’s for the rehearsal dinner . If anyone deviated from the pre-fixed menu, they would be responsible for their own meal. So either you licked up your salisbury steak, country fried chicken or chicken fried steak OR you might find yourself outside of the wedding circle. The thought alone made me nauseous, so I skipped the dinner and went back to tying up the few loose ends before the big day.

That morning, I was scurrying around, dressing kids, ironing veils, looking for breath mints (cuz the bride's breath was on FIYAH!) then IT happened. The time came to start walking down the aisle and I was knocked off balance by a sound I had never heard before. Was someone drowning a family of cats? Perhaps someone was scratching a chalkboard repeatedly? I peered through the door and tucked away in the left corner was a small group of 4th graders. See, the bride and groom were teachers. The bride borrowed a few of her students who were just learning how to play their instruments to provide the ambience for her ceremony. Too bad they had only mastered their instruments for about 2 weeks…yet in still, I shooed everyone down the aisle to the dying kitty cat remix of the wedding march, including the bride’s drunk brother who had to carry the too-young ring bearer/his son who was screaming bloody murder. I then hot-tailed it to the garden to start lighting the candles and inquiring about the reception music. This is when I found out they got another friend to cater some finger foods. There was pasta salad, regular salad, wing-dings, meatballs and cheese. There wasn’t a drop of liquor in the place. I helped the cake lady assemble the cake and in came the crowd. I noticed the bride’s extremely strange sister carrying her stereo, but I ignored it for the moment and made the proper introductions. After that, I got bombarded by the bride’s sorority sister who wanted to sing a song to her and I told her I would squeeze her in at the appropriate time. After all, I had a program to follow. She ran to the bride and told on me (so you know I was hot) but I STILL made her wait until I had done my parts. Fight # 3 The bride starts crying and Sorority sister just stands there like she expected me to hand her the mic...but i just made up some stuff to say so i could keep holding onto it. Then the bride’s sister took the mic, sat it by her radio and played her own personal music collection-first song – “nobody needs nobody” by playa fly, a local Memphis artist. I tried to get a snippet of the song so you could understand how horrific of a choice it was...but i couldn't. so just revel in the picture of playa fly and the chorus of the song which goes "nobody needs nobody. all i need is me and my dog nigga, so f*ck all of ya'll niggas"

I damn near died!!!!! And YES! the bride and groom were out there hunching to this song. I just stood there clutching my pearls as I noticed that some of the groom’s frat brothers were complaining about the choice of drinks. Well, the bride’s alcoholic brother took off to the store and returned with a few boxes of wine. Yes-BOXES of wine! I had had about enough at this point. I went and told the bride she looked lovely (forgive me Lord for lying), said a few goodbyes and BOUNCED!!!!!

And you know what, no one even told me thank you for any of the work I did. i mean, i didn't need a parade. Some simple songs of praise, bowing and flower throwing would have sufficed.
I didn't get a thank you card OR call and surely not a small monetary offering even after the dust had settled...but it sure was a good laugh!!!!!!!!


17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

baaaaaaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaa that messs was too funny...and you be on me about my smilies *snicker*

9:26 AM  
Blogger Sylvia said...

LOL!!!!

Poor thing. You were the wedding planner at the wedding from HELL. At least u survived without knocking out the bride b/c I surely woulda thrown some blows her way w/ the nonsense she was saying. I mean, coke cans? C'mon!!

9:56 AM  
Blogger nosthegametoo said...

I haven't been to very many weddings.

A few years back, I went to an Irish-Catholic wedding. This was very unusual for me. It was a different experience.

Also, I thought Irish drinking was a joke or crazy stereotype. Turns out, it's not. Or at least at THAT wedding.

10:12 AM  
Blogger LUVIN ME said...

ROTF...Whew, and I thought that I had an experience!

Thanks for the shout-out!

10:33 AM  
Blogger Ladynay said...

See what had happended was....

You was trying to give a classy wedding to hood folk, that don't mix!

That was a MESSSSSS! Yah heard me?

11:18 AM  
Blogger ..Sue...Zette... said...

Boxes of wine?

10:38 PM  
Blogger Elle Jefe said...

you might need to stop attending wedding altogether. last time you ended up making the cake, because you are 'artistic'! this time boxes of wine.

11:00 AM  
Blogger Jameil said...

hahahahaha!! my dad's on the phone and whoever he's talking to was like wth is that? he was like, she's blogging. HILARIOUS!!!!!!!!!! DYIN!! that was great. and stop lyin. that wasn't my soror. and she wasn't marryin no dirty red. my fave was the playa fly song!! HILARIOUS!!

12:28 PM  
Blogger Shawn said...

Hahahahaha! You and your people. THAT was hilarious.

I'm mad you didn't let her have the truly ghetto wedding she wanted. If she wanted coke cans you shoulda strung 'em up in the cellophane. If she wanted mixed-match wedding colors you shoulda agreed. Why? Because that woulda been even funnier. And maybe the pics would be circulating around the internet right now like some of the other madness we've all seen. Have you seen the Louis Vuitton wedding pics that were making the rounds?

8:38 PM  
Blogger P said...

Love you site. I will be back. Found it by lurking at another one.

Ah.

My peeps. Yes, I've been to a few ghetto weddings.

I've seen folks dancing down the aisles like it's Soul Train incarnate.

I've seen pot luck receptions. NOT Buffet - Not church lady cooking inspired - POT LUCK. As a matter of fact, I made the macaroni & Cheese (hehe).

I've been ushered out of weddings quicker than a hooker in church because they were in those wedding halls that rent them by the hour.

And of course, with our peeps:

More.To.Come!

11:45 PM  
Blogger 4EverJennayNay said...

LOL. Awe. They had love for eachother and their orgs. LOL. I'm assuming they were relatively young? Hoping, really. There's no reason for people to feel like their at McDonald's instead of your special day. I had a soror who married a Kappa. They deviated a bit from their colors but still had the concept but kept it classy. The rusty-maroon (instead of crimson) was the dominant color and the champaign shimmer (instead of 14kt gold) complemented it. It can be done tastfully. Recently one of my homegirls who's an AKA married my cousin who's an Omega. YES, all four colors were incoporated. They wanted pink and green with purple and gold.

I'm real mad at the coke cans tho...

I don't like going to weddings. I was suckered into one earlier this year where the bride and groom danced their first dance to 'Big Booty Hoes'. Matter fact, the entire reception featured Luke's Greatest Hits. Imagine how that went with crates of 211 lining the gym which held the pot luck wedding.

9:54 AM  
Blogger GreatWhyte said...

My people, my people... Coke cans? What in the F were they planning to do with Coke cans? This is HYSTERICAL :)

2:00 AM  
Blogger Gallis said...

Their colour selections reminded me of a song....hmmmm....what was it now?....Oh Yes! Karma Chameleon. I'm glad I stuck to my "no beverages" rule when reading your blogs. I'd have choked to death laughing so hard.

5:17 AM  
Blogger Adei von K said...

Jameil, get your sis.

I am so mad at this post...on so many levels. As a regular watcher of "Whose Wedding is it Anyway" and even down to "Last Bride Standing" on occasion, I can't condone this. Coke cans???? Playa Fly???? Why?!!?!?!? Did you have to put his pic in the post!?!?!?!? LMAO!!!! I can only imagine the wack ass song that Miss Poodle herself was playing as she held the mic up to the speaker!! Nigga!!! This is just plain disgusting! Can we please get rid of ONE of the primary colors was HUH-larious!

1:02 PM  
Blogger Jameil said...

stacey *stiff middle finger* all up in your area. like what what who is this i don't know? they don't know dun sun. they don't know.

and lmao @jennay's big booty hoes story!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hahahahaha

4:56 PM  
Blogger Mrs A. said...

AT ALL'A YA'LL!!! BLOGGER SUCKS!!!! I RESPONDED TO EVERYONE LIKE I USUALLY DO, BUT BLOGGER WAS CUTTIN UP!!!!!!! SO FRIGGITY FRACK IT!!!!!!!!!!

5:31 PM  
Blogger Ms.Honey said...

Oh my good ness I am in TEARS!!!!

12:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home